Wiki | Community | Discussion Forum | Q&A

Installation of Academy on Ubuntu 18.04

Hi all,

I’m trying to install the Academy framework on Ubuntu 18.04, but since installation instructions posted on JdeRobot Wiki page are deprecated (Ubuntu 16.04), I’ve followed the official Gazebo and ROS (Melodic) installation instructions, and everything goes fine.

The problem is when I try to add JdeRobot repositories and install “jderobot” and “jderobot-gazebo-assets” packages. It obviously tries to link with the previous version of ROS (Kinetic).

Any suggestion? Thanks,

Julio

Hi Julio,

the support for TurtleBot-2 robot in ROS Melodic is not fine yet AFAIK (https://answers.ros.org/question/294600/ros-melodic-does-it-support-turtlebot2/). And some of the exercises of JdeRobot Academy target to this robot, so we stick to currently working underlying infrastructure: Ubuntu 16.04 +ROS Kinetic + Gazebo7 (this Gazebo release is well tested to work with ROS Kinetic).

It is planned a migration to ROS Melodic and Gazebo 9 (and many other newer packages) soon, in the beginning of 2019. The idea is to simultaneously upgrade to more recent releases of many underlying infrastructure, always sticking to official packages (not maintained by us, at least in ROS, Gazebo, OpenCV…). Some testing with them is required before adopting them as the infrastructure of Academy. This way the installation keeps simple as the user only has to install official packages.

In addition, we are in the process of releasing a Docker image with all the underlying infrastructure already installed and ready to use in JdeRobot-Academy.

I would suggest go on with Ubuntu-16.04+ROS Kinetic+Gazebo 7